Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pisser Clams and Sunsets

As this weather turns colder, its almost time to say good bye to an old favorite of ours... Nicky's on the Bay in the Bayshore Marina will be closing in a few weeks. 

Yes, they will be open again next year - and yes, you can always go to Nicky's Clam Bar during the off season... but Nicky's (on the Bay) holds a very special place in my heart!

My family has been going to Nicky's for years, so I have many happy memories there, including the wonderful night that Dave first asked my parents permission and then got down on one knee in front of my parents and family and asked me to marry him! 

So let me tell you about the meal we had at Nicky's recently...it's pretty much a staple for Dave and I - about 90% of the time, we order the exact same thing!  Why?  Well, you just can't get better steamers around, that's why!

For our appetizer, I ordered the Seafood Bisque and Dave ordered the Corn Chowder...and we got a salad to share.


Just add pepper - and a few Oyster Crackers!

 One day, I should ask what they put in their Homemade Seafood Bisque that makes it so darn pink...but I will tell you that other than needing a bit of fresh cracked pepper - the soup is delicious.  It is full of seafood - every bite has a sweet, delicate flavor of shrimp, crab meat and lobster with just the right amount of creamy goodness to not overpower the seafood flavor!


How delicious a colorful, simple salad can be! Great with their Bleu Cheese or Balsamic Vinaigrette!

A soup of the Day that should be a menu regular!

This Corn Chowder is so creamy, chunky and sweet!  The corn flavor is undoubtedly the star of this dish, complimented by the other vegetables...A bowl of this would be a meal in itself!

Let's move on to the entree course! My regular order at Nicky's is the Sauteed Scallops Oreganata... Fresh bay scallops sauteed in a garlic and wine sauce with breadcrumbs
Dave eats the Cajun Fries with his entree!
(Ok, yes - I tend to order scallops when ever I go out, as this is the one thing that when I cook at home, just don't taste the same...I need a scallop intervention!)

These sweet tiny scallops pack a punch of sweet ocean flavor that is only enhanced by the garlic and wine sauce...Let some of the bread crumbs fall into the sauce for a thicker version - and I always top it with lots of fresh lemon to brighten the scallop flavor.  I swear there are enough scallops here for two people!

But the real - honest to goodness - real reason we go to Nicky's...why my family goes to Nicky's too...and why we like to meet there all summer long (other than the outdoor atmosphere right on the Great South Bay) is for these babies:
Steamers!  (on the menu they claim "tastiest steamers on the island served with our famous broth and drawn butter)...

I love to dip them in the broth and then the butter - but there are some who think the butter is totally unnecessary!
Yes, friends - they can take this claim to the bank - these are the best steamers out there and that broth is drinkable.  No joke...my Dad and my Husband both do drink the broth!
We ordered the 'half order' of medium steamers...but they do sell them in full orders...and you can choose whether you like small, medium or large steamers.  I'd prefer small, Dave likes medium, and I think only my Dad likes the large ones!

Either way, these succulent little pisser clams <as we used to call them as kids> are amazing. They are tender and slightly sweet and basically are a burst of the ocean in your mouth.

Now...dessert.  You will learn that I'm not a dessert person - but Dave is.  We ordered the Home made Key Lime Pie...

and THIS is a dessert I could get in to!!  The graham cracker crust is so buttery and delicious, and is the perfect compliment to the smooth, tart custard. At first bite, you do pucker just a bit, but for someone who likes tart as much as I do - its simply perfect!  I dig right in with out the whipped cream, but Dave needs that sweetness to balance out the tart.  A pie so good, that I'd go back just for that!

(Ok.  I'm lying...I couldn't go to Nicky's with out getting the steamers...and I have had their mussels too, which are very good!)

Go.  Get Some.  Honestly, you won't be disappointed.  And you just may get a gorgeous view and sunset in the process!
So, my ratings:

Food: a very strong B+  (perhaps I can give it an A when I try more than just my usual dishes!)

Prices: Moderate.  Appetizers, soups and salads range from $6 to $20; Entrees start at $20 and are plentiful.

Service: B - in the height of the season, it can get a little crazy and backed up, but that is to be expected due to the location and popularity.  Regardless, the staff is attentive to the guests, clean up quick and are very friendly.

Until Next Time...
EAT

Oh...stay tuned...I'm making a little recipe which I'll post here on Sunday...
(or you can read about it in Newsday's Life & Style: Who's Cooking!)

No comments:

Post a Comment