Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A New Favorite Recipe!

Hello Friends!

I saw this on (of course) one of the many, many cooking shows I watch... and it was a "must try" in my book. 

So much so - that I've made it twice in one week...Yes, that's how much I loved it!!

SO...  Brussel Sprout Gratin!

I altered it a bit (surprise!) so I'm posting the original recipe and adding my 'notes' of what I did or didn't do so you can choose to doctor the gratin to your liking!

Ingredients

  • 1 pounds brussel sprouts, cleaned and trimmed
  • 3/4 cups grated sharp Cheddar  (I actually used the entire stick of Cracker Barrel Vermont Extra Sharp Cheddar... as well as about 1/2 a wedge of Gruyere Cheese...do this.. it was Delic!)  
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon picked fresh thyme leaves (did this the 1st time...forgot it the 2nd... go with the flow)
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced (I added also about 4 stalks of Scallions)
  • Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
  • 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs (I used regular Italian as that's what I had in house)
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • Directions

    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

    Shave the brussels sprouts horizontally into 1/8-inch slices with a sharp knife or mandolin. (I used my food processor).  Add to a bowl.  Add the Cheddar (all cheeses, garlic and scallions were also grated/minced in the food processor), flour, thyme, garlic and some salt and pepper to the bowl. Toss to combine. Add the mixture to an 8- by 8-inch baking dish, packing it in. Pour over the heavy cream.

    In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan and oil and pour over the brussels sprouts mixture.

    Bake uncovered until the brussels sprouts are tender, the sauce is bubbling and the top is golden, 30 - 40 minutes. Let sit about 10 minutes before serving.

    Its a bit liquid as I was so excited to try it that I didn't let it sit!
    The next time I make this... I'll do it pretty much similar to how I did it this second time... however.... 

    I will first render down some slices of bacon cut into pieces... put them on paper towel to drain when they are nice and crispy... drain 3/4ths of the oil - leaving a bit of that lovely bacon grease in the pan... then flash saute the brusssel sprout mixture (sans the flour/cheese) for a few minutes... then let it cool & mix with the flour and cheese mixture.... Then - put it in a quiche pan with a quiche mixture of 5 eggs, about 3/4 to 1 cup of heavy cream, salt and pepper to taste, a bit if fresh graded nutmeg... and make a lovely Brussel Sprout Bacon and Cheese quiche!

    Try it... Let me know what you think!
    Until Next Time...
    EAT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment